For all of you that use the bible to selectively denounce homosexuality, I do need some advice from you, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them. According to Leviticus18:22, homosexuality cannot be condoned under any circumstance – fine. I get that and end of the debate on what the bible says.
But what about these other things in Leviticus that seem to be looked over…
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.
The issue of having slaves, selling your daughter, eating shellfish, etc. etc. is that these are considered ridiculous rules by 99% of people and no one follows them today (Christian or non-Christian). Prohibition of homosexuality is just one more ridiculous looking rule. You need to explain why we should care about homosexuality being an abomination in God’s eyes but not care about the fact that the same book says eating shellfish is an abomination in God’s eyes.
Explaining that some laws might have been good for hygiene in 4,000 B.C. (but irrelevant today) or an intrusion of a coming kingdom (that isn’t here yet, so these laws still look irrelevant to the unbeliever) or that these laws are irrelevant because of some other reason doesn’t explain why we should think homosexuality is relevant. And why all these laws (including the ones about homosexuality) aren’t stupid, as they appear to be.
I’m not Christian but whole heartedly bee live in God. So for you Christians that are overtly concerned with what a group of people decide to do with the sexual and anal pores, I say flippin relax and let God sort it out. Like any book, the bible can be taken seriously, just not literally.
Your adoring “bible following” fan
(It would be a damn shame if we couldn’t own a Canadian *** snaps fingers ***)